I’m interrupting my regularly scheduled discussion about fairy tales for a brief digression.
When you start writing a blog, you wonder if anyone will ever read it. At least I did. I’ll admit I started it because I wanted a platform for my book after being told by a certain literary agent that without an on-line presence I was dead in the water. After burning off my righteous indignation, I decided that he wasn’t entirely wrong and blogging seemed the least self-indulgent. Still, I had to rack my brain to find a topic I thought would be interesting enough for me to write week after week with the possibility of sending my thoughts into the void without a response.
I took pleasure in small victories. Random people checking out my thoughts was great. Having my tenth follower made me happier than was probably appropriate. Now I have another reason to cheer…I’ve been nominated for the One Lovely Blog Award!
According to the rules, I’m supposed to list 7 things about myself and nominate 7 other blogs among other things. First, I want to thank AP Roberts of the blog AP Roberts’ Stories for nominating me for the award. (See the other nominees here)
Now, here are the 7 little known facts about me from the random and weird to the informative…and also random. Enjoy!
- My blog about fairy tales is really a platform for the YA fantasy series I’m writing called Rhymes & Misdemeanors, about a teenage detective in the land of Mother Goose.
- I’m 32 and I’m still not on Facebook. I also prefer paper to my computer (sorry Cooper), but draw I the line at stone tablets and a chisel.
- My dog doubles as my security detail when I go to the bathroom because, I think in his mind, the toilet is dangerous.
- I’m married to my high school sweetheart and have one daughter, and reading her fairy tales is what incensed me enough to start a blog discussing and updating fairy tales.
- My sense of smell is almost nez caliber and I considered making perfume a career when I was in high school (but I never told anyone).
- Despite the nose thing, I have a BA in international relations and a MA in history, both which qualify me to write in complete and coherent sentences.
- Favorite/Least favorite words: in English my favorite word is quotidian and my least favorite word is funky. My favorite word in Spanish is ambos (meaning both) and my least favorite is jugoso (meaning juicy). In Italian, my favorite word is nuotare (to swim) and my least favorite is boato (meaning rumble).
I also want to take the time to nominate other blogs for the One Lovely Blog Award.
- SurLaLune Fairy Tales: A blog discussing fairy tales in popular culture which also sends out alerts for upcoming books on bargain buys in fairy tales.
- Something to Read for the Train: Reviews of the faerie, the sinister and writing.
- SophieBowns: Seralized fiction stories as well as flash fiction.
- Rebecca Hains: A media studies professor and author focusing on girls and media.
- A-faerietale-of-inspiration: Really gorgeous arts and crafts based on fairy tales, myths, and nature.
- The Art of Polemics: An unbiased view of history in a straightforward, yet intellectual way.
- Coffee Stained: A site with a unique voice that discusses topics ranging from storytelling to video games
Thanks for supporting the blog!